Status = Tri County means sessions open to those in San Benito, Monterey and Santa Clara counties only. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for a link to register. The session will open up to the general public if there are seats available about 5 days before the session.
|Upcoming Date / Time||Link||Status|
|Wed 9/16 – 1900 / 7pm||HamStudy.org||Full|
|Fri 9/18 – 1900 / 7pm||HamStudy.org||Full|
|Fri 9/25 – 1900 / 7pm||Email for link||Tri-County|
|Wed 9/30- 1900 / 7pm||Email for link||Tri-County|
|Fri 10/2- 1900 / 7pm||Email for link||Tri-County|
|Wed 10/7- 1900 / 7pm||Email for link||Tri-County|
|Fri 10/9 – 1900 / 7pm||Email for link||Tri-County|
|Wed 10/14 – 1900 / 7pm||Email for link||Tri-County|
|Fri 10/16 – 1900 / 7pm||Email for link||Tri-County|
|Wed 10/21 – 1900 / 7pm||Email for link||Tri-County|
|Sat 10/24 – 1900 / 2pm||Email for link||Tri-County|
|Wed 10/28 – 1900 / 7pm||Email for link||Tri-County|
|Fri 11/6 – 1900 / 7pm||Email for link||Tri-County|
|Sun 11/8 – 1900 / 2pm||Email for link||Tri-County|
Amateur Radio License Testing
We have been having fully-remote on-line ham testing sessions. We are planning more – if you’re interested, please contact our contact volunteer examiner at testing @ sbcara.org or check https://hamstudy.org/sessions/N6HKT for dates….
Before 2Q 2020, our group had over a 90% pass rate for the Ham Cram (Amateur Radio License Study) process.
With the COVID-19 situation, we had to find new ways to do things and we are now able to provide Amateur Radio Testing remotely, but the question has been, how can we update a ham study process while practicing social distancing?
We have two processes. These two processes are based on what we know has worked in the past.
1. On-Line Ham Study Process.
2. At Home Ham Cram Process.
On-Line Ham Study Process
- Obtain study materials – Download PDF files based on the license class you’re looking for or purchase ham study books from groups such as hamstudy.org (free), ARRL or W5YI. Study the materials on your own.
- Go to HamStudy.org (if you didn’t already do so in step 1) and register for a free account and try some practice tests.
- Continue practicing until you’re consistently passing near 90%. You need 74% to pass a real test, but people typically do worse on a real test over a practice test.
- Contact SBCARA VEG (Volunteer Examiner Group) at email@example.com and reserve a time for a license testing session. See http://sbcara.org/pretest to see what needs to be done in advance of the appointment.
- Follow the directions for Fully-Remote On-Line testing as directed to by the Contact Volunteer Examiner (N6HKT) at firstname.lastname@example.org
At Home Ham Cram Process
- Obtain study materials – Download PDF files based on the license class you’re looking for.
- Contact SBCARA at email@example.com and reserve a time for a license testing session in the afternoon or evening. See http://sbcara.org/pretest to find out what needs to be done in advance of the appointment.
- From your appointment time, count back 7 hours and set your start time. (For example, if your appointment time is 4:00 pm, set a start time of 9:00 am)
- Clear your desk or table of any distractions and do everything possible to avoid interruptions. Consider yourself on the clock like a job for the next 8 hours with a lunch break.
- For the first hour, spend the first 45 minutes going through section 1 of the test packet. Highlight the correct answer which is in parenthesis near the test question number and focus on the right answer.
(in this example, the correct answer is “A”:
Which part of the FCC regulations contain the rules….
A. Part 97
B. Part 73…
- You want to link the question with the correct answer. Ignore the wrong answers. Continue until you see “End of Section 1”. Go back to the beginning of the section and continue to read and review until the 45 minutes is up.
- After 45 minutes, take a 15 minute break. Give your mind a break for 15 minutes.
- Start the next hour the same 45 minutes of sutdy as the first with section 2.
- We found it best to study for 4 hours, take a 1 hour lunch break, and finish the last 2 sections for 2 hours. Although, technically take the lunch hour break wherever it makes sense to you, but it is recommended taking it near the middle of the seven hour period. Don’t try to do all seven hours in a row, your mind needs a break in there.
- After you’ve completed all 6 sections over the 7 hours, get ready for your appointment as directed by the Contact Volunteer Examiner (N6HKT) at firstname.lastname@example.org
Note – the diagrams the questions refer to are in the back of the document.
Congratulations to those who passed!
Congratulations to those who have passed their exam so far…. For the new licensees, click on your call sign below to be taken to the FCC site and then click “Reference Copy” and it will let you download a PDF of your license or take you to a viewer of the copy (depending on your computer configuration) and you can print your reference copy from there.
|Name||Call Sign||License Class||Date|
|James C. Guy||W5RHT||Upgrade to Amateur Extra||8/30|
|Timothy J. Kellner||AI5AD was N5KEL||Upgrade to Amateur Extra||8/30|
|Ronald B. Perelman||KN6KQG||Technician||8/30|
|Alejandro Pincov||KO4GRU||Upgrade to General||8/30|
|Habib Rahman||AJ6PY was KN6JYV||Upgrade to Amateur Extra||8/30|
|Joseph S. Grant||KJ7LTE||Upgrade to Amateur Extra||8/22|
|John R. Lonborg||N6TUB||Upgrade to General||8/19|
|Ferrell C. Mayes||KE8PAY||Upgrade to General||8/19|
|David A. Patterson||KD9QDK||Technician||8/19|
|Brian P. Tracey||KJ7QCE||Technician||8/19|
|Christopher R. Budd||KF0BGA||Technician||8/14|
|Benjamin R. Ferreira||KI5KNC||Technician||8/14|
|Jacob Firestone||KJ7PYL||Technician and General||8/14|
|Kenneth Franke||KN6KJD||Technician and General||8/14|
|Jeffrey M. Hammer||KN6KJE||Technician||8/14|
|Miles A. Linscott||KF7EFI||Upgrade to General||8/14|
|Andrew W. Pulley||KJ7PYM||Technician||8/14|
|David W. Rasche||KD9QCJ||Technician||8/14|
|Keegan C. Sanchez||KN6KJF||Technician||8/14|
|Thomas K. Resk||KJ7PXI||Technician||8/12|
|Brian E. Branch||KN6KHK||Technician||8/7|
|Scott D. Buzan||KJ7NXK||Upgrade to General||8/7|
|Tyler J. Clerf||KJ7PSS||Technician||8/7|
|Douglas D. Dutton||KO4GCZ||Technician||8/7|
|Anthony Scodary||KN6KHL||Technician and General||8/7|
|Geofery R. Kimball||KJ7PQU||Technician||8/5|
|Marc Robbins||W7MRX||Upgrade to Amateur Extra||8/5|
|Georgios D. Telonis||KN6KFG||Technician||8/5|
|Christopher E. Vinson||KN6KFH||Technician||8/5|
|Craig E. Borchard||KM6EIC||Upgrade to Amateur Extra||8/1|
|Arthur P. Hunt||W6APH||Upgrade to Amateur Extra||8/1|
|Habib Rahman||KN6JYV||Upgrade to General||8/1|
|Brad Webb||WE6BDW||Upgrade to General||8/1|
|Joseph S. Grant||KJ7LTE||Upgrade to General||7/29|
|Steven Robertson||KN6JUJ||Upgrade to General||7/29|
|Gregory M. Shiwota||WH6GKL||Technician||7/29|
|Kevin B. Woodard||KN6JPL||Upgrade to General||7/29|
|Marcy L. Engelstein||KJ7PKI||Technician||7/24|
|David C. Jackson||KO4FSH||Technician||7/24|
|Jimmy N. Sturdivant||KN6KBM||Technician||7/24|
|Andre R. Dervishian||KN6KAE||Technician||7/22|
|George W. Hunt||N6GWH||Upgrade to Amateur Extra||7/22|
|Thomas G. Lawson||KN6KAF||Technician||7/22|
|Luis A. Membrila||KN6KAG||Technician||7/22|
|Craig E. Borchard||KM6EIC||Upgrade to General||7/17|
|Anson H. Pham||KN6JYU||Technician||7/17|
|Richard Todd Dellinger||KO4DQB||Upgrade to General||7/15|
|David Douglas||KD2UAE||Upgrade to General||7/15|
|Carlos A. Rodriguez||WP4RNK||Technician||7/15|
|Daniel C. Williams||KI5JZJ||Technician||7/15|
|Rebecca L. Carney||KN6JVI||Technician||7/10|
|Randall T. Humiston||KN6JLC||Upgrade to General||7/10|
|Phillip E. Roberts||KI5JXL||Technician||7/10|
|William G. Ryback||KJ7PDG||Technician||7/10|
|Timothy L. Wagner||KI5JIW||Upgrade to General||7/10|
|Leif M. Amussen||KN6JUI||Technician||7/8|
|Luke P. Forzley||KD2UES||Technician||7/8|
|Joseph R. Casebeer||AI7BS ex KG7EQU||Upgrade to Amateur Extra||6/28|
|Mike D. Cullen||KM6UWG||Upgrade to General||6/28|
|Tim J. Gamble||K7TJG||Upgrade to General||6/28|
|Joselito Araneta||KN6JGK||Upgrade to General||6/26|
|Eugene J. Bukont III||W3EJB||Upgrade to General||6/26|
|Dermot Duffy||KN6JKM||Upgrade to General||6/26|
|Bradley E. Hill||KN6JPK||Technician||6/26|
|Jordan R. Lassiter||KD2UDE||Technician||6/26|
|Juan R. Mejia||AJ6PH ex KM6CFH||Upgrade to Amateur Extra||6/26|
|Paul E. Szemplinski||KD9PST||Technician||6/26|
|Kevin B. Woodard||KN6JPL||Technician||6/26|
|Phillip DeDionisio||K1TUP||Upgrade to General||6/24|
|Robert E. Hales III||KN6JMJ||Technician||6/24|
|George Jewsevskyj||WA3NAY||Upgrade to Amateur Extra||6/24|
|Padraic F. Lackey||KN6JMK||Technician||6/24|
|Billy C. Rond||KE7OHB||Upgrade to Amateur Extra||6/24|
|Eric Barendt||N7EWB||Upgrade to Amateur Extra||6/21|
|Patricia (Trisha) Buzan||KJ7OTI||Technician||6/21|
|Deacon H. Bradley||KI5JOV||Technician||6/19|
|Tiffany M. Cushman||KJ7OSX||Technician||6/19|
|Carl C. Gosline||KN6JKN||Technician||6/19|
|Robert J. Hunnicutt III||KO4EOP||Technician||6/19|
|David S. Taylor||W5DST||Upgrade to Amateur Extra||6/19|
|Michael T. Mudrick||KE8OQG||Technician||6/17|
|Duane W. Wheeler||N6DSC||Upgrade to Amateur Extra||6/17|
|Dongwon Kang||K4NGD||Upgrade to Amateur Extra||6/14|
|Peter Murray||KI6ALD||Upgrade to Amateur Extra||6/14|
|Evan M. Kauffman||KE8OPD||Technician and General||6/12|
|Larry Malizia||KJ6VUT||Upgrade to Amateur Extra||6/12|
|Robert H. Shaw||KB6KBA||Upgrade to General||6/12|
|Melissa M. Tanner||KI5GRH||Upgrade to General||6/12|
|Michael Torguson||AE0JI||Technician, General & Amateur Extra||6/5|
|Billy Boltz||W6WKB||Upgrade to General||5/29|
|Randy Miramontez||KN6ISQ||Upgrade to General||5/16|
|Benson Wong||K6BEN||Upgrade to Amateur Extra||5/16|
Bay Area UASI Training & Exercise ProgramFor IS Courses (i.e. IS-300, IS400), COM-L, etc…